Loading last workspace used

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Loading last workspace used

Postby gwa000 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:12 pm

is there a way when starting up Dyalog APL to have it load the last workspace used?

i know there is a Continue workspace and by putting that on the command line of the shortcut i can get that to load at startup.

but it seems if i saved an "xyz" workspace and exited it should load by default at the next startup or at least have an option to do this. i looked through the options and could not find a setting to "load last workspace loaded".

also, is there a way to automatically get prompted to save your workspace if you forget to explicitly save it? if i am editing the workspace "xyz" i lose my edits if i forget to save it. seems like i should get prompted like most editors. i know it will be in the Continue workspace but if i start editing a new workspace the "xyz" edits will get lost from the Continue workspace.

thanks!
gwa000

Re: Loading last workspace used

Postby Phil Last on Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:53 pm

In windows, double-clicking a .dws file starts dyalog.exe and )LOADs the ws.

In most if not all OSs, including the file path to the ws in the command line to start dyalog )LOADs the ws.
Phil Last

Postby gwa000 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:26 pm

Phil Last wrote:In windows, double-clicking a .dws file starts dyalog.exe and )LOADs the ws.

In most if not all OSs, including the file path to the ws in the command line to start dyalog )LOADs the ws.

yes, i am aware of this. it just seems like there should be an option to load the last workspace used. if i do a bunch of edits to abc.dws and forget to save it, it will get saved in continue.dws upon exit (if the checkbox is checked). now suppose i edit xyz.dws and save it (or not). this will get saved in continue.dws and wipe out the continue.dws that had the abc.dws edits.

i would think that at least if one is editing abc.dws and you do not save it explicitly the Dyalog would prompt you for this. even MS notepad.exe does this. i do not recall ever using software that if you don't save your edits that it does not ask you if you want to save it.

hoping that the Dyalog developers see this and think about it as a future feature.
- option to reload last workspace used.
- feature to prompt to save the workspace if edits have been made.

thanks!
gwa000

Postby Phil Last on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 am

The next answer is a radical but incontroversial change to your method of working.

Using built in ]LINK or downloadable acre at https://github.com/the-carlisle-group/Acre-Desktop all your changes are saved automatically at the time of closing the editor. Never a requirement to )SAVE again.

My recommendation would be for the latter.
Phil Last

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am

Hi gwa000,

If you are using Dyalog on MS Windows, I have always found it convenient to press Alt+F to bring up the file menu and then hit 1 to load the last workspace saved.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby gwa000 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:58 pm

Phil Last wrote:The next answer is a radical but incontroversial change to your method of working.

Using built in ]LINK or downloadable acre at https://github.com/the-carlisle-group/Acre-Desktop all your changes are saved automatically at the time of closing the editor. Never a requirement to )SAVE again.

My recommendation would be for the latter.

i'll download it and try it out.

thanks!
gwa000

Postby gwa000 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Vince|Dyalog wrote:Hi gwa000,

If you are using Dyalog on MS Windows, I have always found it convenient to press Alt+F to bring up the file menu and then hit 1 to load the last workspace saved.

Regards,

Vince

thanks!

although i hope you consider the 2 suggestions i made in a prior note.
i shouldn't "complain" too much since i'm using the free version.
gwa000

Postby Phil Last on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:48 pm

Phil Last wrote:The next answer is a radical but incontroversial change to your method of working.
but of course I should have written uncontroversial. I was probably confusing it with incontrovertible.
Phil Last

Return to New to Dyalog?