Enter APL Symbols

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Re: Enter APL Symbols

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:06 am

Larry, the CONTINUE workspace is created if you do not cleanly shut the interpreter down; your work is saved and CONTINUE is loaded the next time you start the interpreter. CONTINUE is a regular workspace, you should be able to get rid of it by typing

)DROP CONTINUE

... or renaming the file CONTINUE.dws to something else, if you would like to keep it for future inspection.

As it happens, we are currently debating the use of CONTINUE in the Dyalog development team. CONTINUE workspaces in their current form were invented in the days where your accoustic coupler* lost the connection several times a day or the mainframe crashed regularly. We are wondering whether to change the way this works.

We'd be happy to hear from fans of the current mechanism, as well as people who have suggestions for how we could improve the mechanism.

* Here is a link for the young folk, to a picture of my favourite terminal from ca 1979: http://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.ph ... _Model_745. It truly was portable and I took it with me as hand luggage on planes. The rolls of thermal paper were rather expensive though, I used to collect them and use both margins (APL input/output tends to stay close to hte left margin).
Morten|Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:07 am

A CONTINUE is just another workspace, albeit created by APL rather than as a result of the user explicitly saving it.

So you can simply
      )DROP CONTINUE
or delete CONTINUE.dws using Finder. That will allow you to load your workspace into a clear workspace.

If you ever want to get rid of the session history, you can simply delete default.dlf using Finder ..
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Dick Bowman on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 pm

The latter-day equivalent to dropping your acoustic coupler might be the "APL cannot continue and Microsoft is searching for a solution" scenario and it definitely would be helpful to be able to salvage something when this happens.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Previous

Return to New to Dyalog?