Connecting to remote APL interpreter

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Connecting to remote APL interpreter

Postby alexeyv on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:43 am

Hi,

In RIDE there is an option to start remote APL interpreter over ssh.
However there is no option to connect to remote APL interpreter started over ssh. Am I missing something?

What I want is to have one installation of Dyalog APL on remote Linux host accessible only via SSH, connect to it from one machine using RIDE, start to work on a workspace, then go home and connect to the same interpreter using RIDE from another machine and continue to work on this workspace. Is it possible to do so?
alexeyv

Re: Connecting to remote APL interpreter

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:17 am

This is not currently possible, but it is on the "To Do" list for RIDE 4.0. I'll get back to you shortly with a guesstimate for when it might be available.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby alexeyv on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Great, thanks!
alexeyv

Postby flouc001 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:06 pm

There is now the option to connect to a running interpreter via SSH. In order to use this feature follow these steps:

1) Start an interpreter on the desired machine using the "RIDE_INIT" variable to specify a port to serve on, for example:

Code: Select all
RIDE_INIT=SERVE::4000

2) Start RIDE on a machine that has network access to the one you started the interpreter on.

3) Select the "Connect to an interpreter option", then select "Connect to an interpreter over SSH", and fill out the necessary details. For example:

Code: Select all
user @ host : port  = cal@cals-ubuntu-machine:22
key file            = /path/to/some/key/file     
RIDE Port           = 4000                       

From here it should establish an SSH connection to the host machine and tunnel your RIDE TCP traffic through a secure connection.

Enjoy :)
flouc001

Return to New to Dyalog?