cannot load ws before version 11.0

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

cannot load ws before version 11.0

Postby hbarkhof on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:34 am

Hello.
Sorry if this question was already answered before. Could not find it in our forums.

Tried to load the finapl workspace but got an error :
"Cannot load workspaces that are earlier than version 11.0"
when using )load fapliddf.dws

Tried this in version 16 and 17 without any luck. Any hints what I am doing wrong ?

Windows 10.
Apl versions 16 and 17 (Unicode)

Thanks for your time and sorry if this is a dumb question.
hbarkhof

Re: cannot load ws before version 11.0

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 am

Henk,

I presume you downloaded the workspace from http://www.finnapl.fi/texts/fapliddf.zip. I will talk to the FinnAPL folks about saving a newer version of the workspace. On Monday, we'll be able to provide you with a new workspace, unfortunately I don't have a sufficiently old version of APL at home. Meanwhile, you might enjoy this on-line application, which searches not only the FinnAPL, but also the APL2 and Dyalog idiom lists: https://miserver.dyalog.com/Examples/Applications/Idiom_Search.mipage.

A bit of background: Dyalog APL goes to some lengths to load old workspaces, but converting old binary formats requires code which is hard to test, and can lead to strange failures. We decided to draw a line at version 11.0 and we are likely to move that line forward every now and again.

The error message means that the workspace is more than 12 years old. If you have a version of Dyalog APL which is closer to 11.0 yourself, you may be able to )LOAD and )SAVE it in that version, and subsequently )LOAD it in 16 or 17.

Regards,

Morten

P.S. In the future, APL source is likely to be stored in text files, and the problem will slowly fade away.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby hbarkhof on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks for your answe and time Morten ! Preciated.
hbarkhof

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:27 am

Hi Henk,

I will send you a version of this workspace saved by version 14.1 via email from Dyalog Support.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby hbarkhof on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks Vince. I have received it and it works fine !
hbarkhof

Postby ksa on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately I am having the same problem with a ws saved back in 2005.
Would it be possible to get hold of a sufficiently old version of DAPL to convert it into a newer format?
It is not extremely important for me, but thanks for any help anyway ;-)
...../Kim
ksa

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:01 am

Hi Kim

If it's just one workspace then if you're happy to email it to support we'll see if we can get it into a more recent version. What version are you trying to get it into ?

A few more general comments
    1. We have a sliding window of versions of workspaces which can be loaded in a specific version of Dyalog because the code required to massage the internal workspace structure from older versions to newer versions becomes more and more convoluted.
    2. We may not be able to )LOAD workspaces saved in older versions if they have been )SAVEd with an SIStack or a non-empty ⎕SM.
    3. A workspace which has been saved in the same platform/version/edition/width that you are going to )LOAD it in needs no conversion on the )LOAD, so will load (slightly) quicker than a workspace which needs conversions so it is a good idea to )xload and )save all your workspaces in the version that they will be )LOADed into. But we fully understand that that is not always possibe or practical.
AndyS|Dyalog

Return to New to Dyalog?