type conversions/Conversion Codes

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Re: type conversions/Conversion Codes

Postby Stu on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:32 pm

This is very helpful, especially since I'm definitely an "impatient" APL programmer. Because I work mostly with images and time series data, OO doesn't appear to offer me any benefits as far as understanding how to process the arrays involved. On the other hand, if I wanted to create a cool GUI to make it easier for other people to use my functions, then I would wrap them in an OO framework. I think people who have learned programming since, say, the 1980's, OO comes very naturally. I began programming in 1963 and internalized a whole different approach (think of a fixed-format FORTRAN program with "goto" statements all over the place). When I first encountered "old" APL in the late 1970's, I thought it was the most wonderful thing I'd even seen.
Stu

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Stu,

For learning more about working with our GUI objects, I recommend

)load wtutor

Scroll down and you'll find a topic named "Using Bitmaps". Follow the instructions...After you've finished, the session log will have the expressions that are executed.

Another workspace that illustrates GUI objects:

)load wtutor95

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby Stu on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:38 pm

This is what I get when I try to load wtutor and wtutor95:

)load wtutor
GUI objects could not be recreated; the file is from an incompatible architecture
C:\Program Files\Dyalog\Dyalog APL-64 14.1 Unicode\ws\wtutor.dws saved Fri Jul 24 17:18:44 2015

TOPIC[25]
)load wtutor95
GUI objects could not be recreated; the file is from an incompatible architecture
C:\Program Files\Dyalog\Dyalog APL-64 14.1 Unicode\ws\wtutor95.dws saved Fri Jul 24 17:18:44 2015
Stu

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:34 am

Hi Stu,

You can safely ignore the GUI Objects message.

The function name TOPIC in ⎕LX should start a listview with a list of topics that you can choose from.

If you don't get that, please email me at support@dyalog.com

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Previous

Return to New to Dyalog?