Stand-alone APL application on OSX

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Stand-alone APL application on OSX

Postby alexeyv on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi,

Is where a way to create (compile) a stand-alone application with Dyalog for OSX?

Br,
/Alexey
alexeyv

Re: Stand-alone APL application on OSX

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Alexey,

Sorry, Dyalog for OSX does not do this.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby Tomas Gustafsson on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Is this available for Unix/Linux btw?
Tomas Gustafsson

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:05 am

Hi Tomas,

I think it is only a feature of Dyalog for Windows.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 am

Just to expand Vince's comment ..

Indeed there is no way to "compile" a stand-alone application on any non-Windows platform.

However, we supply a runtime interpreter, and it is possible to select just the files that are needed for your application from the Dyalog installation directory .. you can package them up in such a way that they form an application.

So you might just need the runtime interpreter, the two Conga-related shared libraries, and a workspace (and/or .dyalog files). You'd need a startup script of some sort too. You could then bundle these up into an appropriate installation package, and there you have your application. So it's not a single stand-alone executable, but rather a number of files which form the application.

There are some licencing issues too (which apply equally to Windows-based compiled applications), but this is a technical thread, and they are best answered by an email to sales@dyalog.com.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Tomas Gustafsson on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Thx Andy, Vince :-)

Admittedly i'm totally stupid re. Linux, but it's soon gameserver&rack time...

In short, the solution is to create a combined server + peer to peer solution. I did this already once, but then Microsoft suddenly killed all their free pnrp-servers worldwide. That effectively killed the proto that was already running.

But own server space is better anyway. When talking UDP from peer to peer, the NAT that most people have (wlan + router) forms a problem where a common 3rd party IP-address/server is mandatory, for NAT hole throughpunching (based on the logic that if i send something to you, i expect a reply from you -> my router opens the firewall towards for a short time). The server acts as a messanger between the peers, telling the other peer the other ones IP address. Then both know where to send, and we have p2p.

And as rack space is Linux based, Linux APL is needed. Shall be interesting to attack this :-).
Tomas Gustafsson

Return to New to Dyalog?