z←a f w←1 2 3
z
}

And their respective results:

Trad
3 4 5
Dfn 0
1 2 3

Is this a long-standing and well-known feature of dfns? If we replace the f with the literal primitive "+" then the dfn works like the trad function. Or is is a bug? Obviously something to do with the different way assignments are handled in dfns...
paulmansour

Re: Dfn Bug or Feature?

Postby Phil Last on Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:08 pm

A long standing feature?

Yes indeed. From the very beginning. Any assignment to a simple name within a dfn creates a new entity within the scope of the "capsule".

Unlike within a tradfn or in the session, the prohibition on certain changes of nameclass; for instance: function to array; is avoided by each new assignment to a particular name shadowing the previous.

The parsing is therefore slightly different in that in your example with "f" being a function and outside of a dfn
      a f w←1 2 3
is parsed as
      a f (w←1 2 3)
whereas within a dfn it's as
      (a f w)←1 2 3
with the parenthesised part being entirely in the "name" domain.
Phil Last

Postby paulmansour on Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:23 am

Thanks Phil.

I'm not too concerned as this issue only came up as I was converting a whole bunch of trad functions to dfns under program control. I would not write code this way.

The moral of the story I think is that one should avoid embedded assignment.

Be that as it may, it's a little disconcerting that simply naming a primitive changes the way a dfn parses a line.
paulmansour

Postby Phil Last on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:48 am

Sorry to argue with you Paul, but it's not in the dfn that the difference appears.
      a b c←0 1 2
was available as a stranded assignment before the advent of dfns and generally expected to result in the creation of three scalar arrays. Executing
      ⎕FX↑,↓'r←a b w'
prior to the assignment changed the parsing of the statement such that, assuming "a" already exists, "c" becomes a three item vector that function "b" takes as right argument.

In a dfn the prior existence of any of the three names affects it not at all.

Today, an unambiguous coding, assuming one isn't put off by embedded assignment, might be
      a b⊢c←1 2 3
Phil Last

Return to Language