Increasing font size for code and GUI

Installing APL, Sorting out Fonts, Keyboards, etc.

Increasing font size for code and GUI

Postby Reverend Jim on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I'm just getting back into APL after not having used it since APL 360 (IBM) was my favourite language back at university in the 70s (yes, I'm that old). Unfortunately my eyes aren't near as sharp as they were back then. Is there any way to increase the font size for the GUI (the APL character toolbar is almost microscopic) and especially for code (I should at least be able to read that)?
Reverend Jim

Re: Increasing font size for code and GUI

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi there

I believe you're using a Windows interpreter ..

You can alter the size of the session font by clicking on the arrows to the right of the font size in the coolbar at the top right of the session .. it's to the right of the font name (which is probably APL385 Unicode).

What I didn't know until 30 seconds ago is that in 17.0 onwards you can alter the size of the language bar icons by right clicking on the language bar (I suggest doing so with the cursor immediately to the left of the keyboard icon) and selecting "Use session font".

If you're not using 17.0 then drop sales@dyalog.com a note and we can give you access to download it.

Oh, and I will ensure that this 17.0 featurette is documented !
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Reverend Jim on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks. I was using the version just prior to 17 and had to uninstall it this morning because it was affecting other applications. For example, in TextPad, CTRL-S which used to do a SAVE now just caused "?" to be entered. Other hotkeys were similarly affected in that app as well as several others. Once I uninstalled APL everything went back to normal. I figured that since I had to reinstall I might as well download version 17. I'll see if that gives the same problem. If not then thanks again. If so then I'll post a follow up in this thread.
Reverend Jim

Postby kai on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Interesting.

I would like to execute this programmatically. Or issue the underlying command, whatever.

I tried to find out by resorting to the Event Viewer and BULDSE, but to no avail.

A hint would be appreciated.
kai

Postby Reverend Jim on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Awesome. Everything works great. This time I installed without running as admin (although I had to cacls "C:\Program Files\Dyalog" to allow the install) and there were no adverse effects with CTRL keys in other apps.

Time for some fun.
Reverend Jim

Postby paulmansour on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:30 pm

"What I didn't know until 30 seconds ago is that in 17.0 onwards you can alter the size of the language bar icons by right clicking on the language bar"

Halleluja!
paulmansour

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 am

Hi Reverend Jim,

We use a Unicode IME (Input Method Editor) on Windows to be able to type APL characters.

We use the Ctrl key and another key to type APL characters. For instance, Ctrl and S should give ⌈. It might look like a ? in a non-unicode font.

It sounds like Windows was using our IME while you were in other programs. (I am using it right now to type into this post.)

Please have a look at these pages:

https://www.dyalog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=654
https://www.dyalog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=893

They will help you setup windows so that you can switch between our Unicode IME and the default keyboard of your country.

If you have any questions or problems, contact me at Dyalog Support which is support@dyalog.com

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Return to Installation