Log

Installing APL, Sorting out Fonts, Keyboards, etc.

Log

Postby HSeguin on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I upgraded from version 10 to 14. But when I try to read the log file I had with my version 10 I get the message: "Failed to complete read of log file".

What should I do?
HSeguin

Re: Log

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 am

If you are not too worried about losing the contents of the session log, the simplest way to resolve this is to start up 14.0, and then simply click on Log -> Save.

If you want to keep a record of the session log, firstly you should run
      txt←⎕se.⎕wg'Log'

and save the text somewhere.

What is more interesting is why both v10 and v14 are attempting to use the same session log; by default the session log is saved as default.dlf in the APL installation directory; the name and location can be overridden by setting LOG_FILE, so I wonder whether you have set this to be the same for both versions.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby HSeguin on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm

My version 10 log was copied from my old XP pc to my new 8.1 pc. I copied it to a sub-folder under c:\users and configured APL to point to this log with the Configuration/Log window. When I open APL I get the message "Failed to complete read of log file".

I also tried another option which was to put the log under C:\Program Files (x86)\Dyalog\Dyalog APL 14.0 Unicode. In this case, I get no error message, but it still fails to read it. Strangely, using Windows Explorer, the log size is 319K (which is what it should be) but under Dyalog when I look under Configuration/Log/Browse it just shows 3K. After I exit APL with ⎕OFF and refresh Windows Explorer it still shows 319K.
HSeguin

Postby DanB|Dyalog on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 pm

You can also save the log under a different name to be retrieved later.
For example, if you have been working on a project and you would like to keep the log for later perusal you can select menu Log/Save as... and save it under a name you can later bring back.
When you quit APL the current session log will also be saved under the default name separately.
DanB|Dyalog

Postby HSeguin on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm

I know that. The problem I have, as explained in my previous email, is that my new version 14 is unable to read the log I created with version 10.
HSeguin

Postby Phil Last on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:36 am

Do you still have access to v10?

If so this should work...

Start v10 and v14 so you have two simultaneous sessions.

Switch to v10
Ensure the Log is as required. Copy the entire session to the clipboard
      Ctrl+Home - Shift+Ctrl+End - Ctrl+Insert

Switch to v14
Open a new empty character array in the editor.
      '-' ⎕ED 'whatever'

Paste in the contents of the clipboard.
      Shift+Insert
Exit the editor fixing the variable.

Ensure the v14 log is saved and backed up if and as required. Clear the session:
      Ctrl+Home - Shift+Ctrl+End - Ctrl+Delete
This will also clear the saved log which is why you might want to back it up for retrieval later.

Ensure ⎕PW is as wide or wider than the variable.
      ⎕←whatever

Save this copy of the v14 log wherever you want it.

Might work!
Phil Last

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 am

Currently Dyalog does not support migrating session log files from one version to another.

The structure of a log file is complex and changes between versions. It's also different between Classic and Unicode, between and 32 and 64 bit interpreters and between different endian platforms, so supporting the use of session logfiles across versions/editions is not a trivial task.

This functionality, as well as being able to use session files across versions, is in our list of Requests for Enhancements.
AndyS|Dyalog

Return to Installation