How to keep the configuration

Installing APL, Sorting out Fonts, Keyboards, etc.

How to keep the configuration

Postby PGilbert on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 am

In the menu Options -> Configure you can set the different options for the interpreter. They are saved in a Key in the Registry liked indicated in the general tab.

When I upgrade from V13 to V14 all my tuned options are lost because its not in the same Key. Is there is a way to have those options saved in a file so it could be saved and retrieved ?

Same question for the syntax color in menu Options -> Colors. Is there is a way to preserve those colors when upgrading from V13 to V14 ?

Thanks
PGilbert

Re: How to keep the configuration

Postby Phil Last on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:47 am

If you've uninstalled v13 then you'll just have to do it all again.

But for next time. In Regedit "Export ..." from the File menu exports the entire sub-tree of the current item to a .REG file.

If you haven't uninstalled v13 yet you can find the setup for 13 at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dyalog\Dyalog APL/W 13.1 Unicode
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dyalog\Dyalog APL/W 13.2 Unicode
and export it.

Then change the path in the file to that for v14. Probably:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dyalog\Dyalog APL/W 14.0 Unicode
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dyalog\Dyalog APL/W-64 14.0 Unicode

In either case it's a good idea always to export whatever you've got before installing a new version.

The .REG file runs automatically if double-clicked in explorer so be careful that it's all correct.
Phil Last

Postby PGilbert on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks Phil it worked !

I would prefer a regular .ini file instead of the registry however. But both have their advantages and disavantages I suppose.

Regards,

Pierre Gilbert
PGilbert

Postby Dick Bowman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:44 pm

I've been asking Dyalog for an option to transfer session files (and log files?) as new versions emerge for quite some while now; one of my really bad habits has been to take a Version<n> .dse and just copy it into the Version<n+1> folder. It's a bad habit because sometimes these old session files aren't quite compatible with newer interpreters - and I've stopped doing it (well nearly, almost), just reconciling myself to going through all the Options/Configure stuff each time.

And - on the whole - people don't install new versions that often.

But it would be good to have a "would you like to keep your configuration from the previous version" question during an upgrade install.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Postby PGilbert on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Hello Dick, I would second your motion for a "would you like to keep your configuration from the previous version" button during an upgrade install.
PGilbert

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:12 am

Hi Pierre,

Phil's suggestion is what I'd recommend as well.

We have previously logged a Request For Enhancement (RFE) for this and are aware of the benefits having this facility would bring.

I would be cautious of exporting/importing the colour schemes because of their binary nature. But if it works, it's fine. It might not work in the future though.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:21 am

The following little trick should help to get APL objects from ⎕SE from an earlier version into ⎕SE in the current version:

0. For my explanation, I need some objects in ⎕SE in my earlier version:
      ⎕se.⎕fx'foo' '1'
⎕SE.('andys'⎕NS'foo')

1. In my earlier version:
      )cs
se←⎕se
)save + tmpws ⍝ Save the session with the workspace

2. In my current version
      )cs ⎕se
)copy tmpws se.foo se.andys
⍝ and then Session->Save

Note that you can't )copy se, only children of se.

Going forwards one of the other things that we are considering is where we put objects in ⎕SE; we could reduce the number of top level objects by, for example, moving all of the objects that make up the session into the Dyalog namespace, and possibly also objects such as Chart and NumEd. Shuffling objects around isn't difficult, but the question would be: how much would it affect users' ⎕SEs ?
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Dick Bowman on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Long ago I used to put stuff of my own into ⎕SE, thinking that this was a good way to have tools available to me whatever workspace I was using at the time.

But after a while I stopped doing it - partly because of the aggravation of recreating it for new versions (this was so long ago that my recollection might be hazy and my reasoning might now be wrong).

I really think that the content of ⎕SE should belong to Dyalog - user/programmers can change values but they shouldn't put new stuff in there or delete stuff already there (much as I might be tempted to do some of the latter).

There are plenty of places we can keep our own stuff, and no danger of entangling with Dyalog.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Postby PGilbert on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Dick: I would agree with you to leave ⎕SE to Dyalog and use instead User Commands to share utilities across multiple version of Dyalog.

Vince: If you say that there is a risk in the future that the color scheme in binary will not be the same from one version to another than this mean that we have to do a print screen of our colors scheme for archiving. I would suggest to have a function that will save a 'safe' version on disk for the options of the previous Dyalog version with another function to put it back 'safely' into the registry of the newer version. Anyway, to have to play ourselves to keep our settings from one version to another is not correct and I don't know why we have to talk about it.
PGilbert

Postby Tomas Gustafsson on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am

I really, really, really 2nd the original issue/opinion.

regedit? omg, please no!

The color scheme is the issue. Other parameters are easy to set, but my fine, carefully chosen, beautiful soft and sensitive colors, that match the sky, and my eyes... both of them...

How much do we need to collect to get a color export/import? :-)

Tomas Gustafsson

Next

Return to Installation