Migration from APL+Win to Dyalog

How to move APL code to Dyalog

Migration from APL+Win to Dyalog

Postby lancepawl on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has migrated APL+Win workspaces to Dyalog and could share the procedure.

Thanks & Regards,

Lance
lancepawl

Re: Migration from APL+Win to Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am

Hi Lance

Executive overview: use ]out from within APL+WIN and then use ]in in Dyalog APL.

There's more information in the APL Workspace Transfer Guide which is in the help directory of your installation, or you can find it on https://www.dyalog.com/documentation_170.htm.

Note that there are very few reasons which prevent a function from being fixed in Dyalog APL - most of the checking is done at runtime. So you may want to have a quick search through the resulting workspace to spot any problems .. generally it'll be APL+WIN-specific features.

It's just dawned on us that you should be able to make use of 200⌶ (and 201⌶) to help you do this. Run 200⌶⎕NR 'fnname' on all your functions and operators and check if any of the colours are error-related. You can get the list to check for by running the following function (always call 201⌶: we might change the list in any patch we release !)

∇r←GetErrorColours;c
[1] c←201⌶⍬
[2] r←((¯3↑¨c[;3])∊'ERR' 'UCC')⌿c
[3] r⍪←(c[;3]∊'UNKNOWN' '')⌿c
[4] r⍪←((⊂'Mismatched control structure')≡¨c[;1])⌿c
[5] r←∪0 ¯1↓r

Compare the result of 200⌶ with the entries in the second column of the result of GetErrorColours. It probably isn't an exhaustive test, but it should highlight various issues.

For the future we will ensure that the name of all error colours end in "ERR".
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby lancepawl on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Hello Andy,

Thanks. I had tried that at first. I loaded my workspace in APL+Win and all the functions and variables are there. I then executed ]OUT <workspace> and got the error:

UCMDS FILE NOT FOUND

I also tried it with the argument of the path and filename, as shown below, and got the same error:

]OUT "C/:Windows/aplwin36/NFL18.w3"

I know that I successfully migrated a workspace from APL+Win to Dyalog a few years ago, and it worked. I think I used the ]OUT command. However, back then, my PC was on Windows 7, so not sure if the error has something to do with Windows 10. Any idea about this error?

Thanks & Regards,

Lance
lancepawl

Postby JoHo on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 am

Hello Lance,

I have not encountered this specific UCMDS problem, but to me it looks like a configuration problem on the APL+WIN side.
From the top of my head you could try to run the APL process in Win7 compatibility mode, and check the the functionality of the UCMDs in general beforehand.

The other way forward would be to use one of the alternative transfer workspaces, IIRC which are mentioned in the Transfer Guide or found on the internet.

I might also refer you to my 2009 post regarding migration from APL+Win to Dyalog:
GUI Emulation for APL+Win V2

HTH
JoHo
JoHo

Return to Migrating from other Systems