Dyalog on a Chromebook

Using Dyalog under 'nixes

Dyalog on a Chromebook

Postby paulmansour on Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Does Dyalog run on Chromebook? I assume these things are Linux of some sort. If so, is it simple to install? I have zero experience with Chromebooks, Linux, Ride et.
paulmansour

Re: Dyalog on a Chromebook

Postby paulmansour on Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Isn't this a simple yes or no question? Or is it a really stupid question?
paulmansour

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:14 am

Hi Paul, sorry for the slow response. I believe the simple answer is "Yes", at least the TTY version starts and runs in the "Linux App". Geoff did the testing a while ago and I wanted to ask him about whether he got RIDE to work, but he alternated between being terribly busy and now having to take time off because he forgot to do so during the year (strange place, Europe, I know, managers can be fined or even go to jail if employees don't take enough time off). I would expect it to work but we have not done enough testing to declare that it is "supported".

P.S. I am not sure ALL Chromebook devices have the ability to run Linux apps, and I believe you need to do things like enable developer mode (which apparently deletes all local data) and install Linux yourself, see e.g. https://www.lifewire.com/install-linux-on-chromebook-4125253.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby paulmansour on Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Thanks Morten.

Looks like a bit of a project...
paulmansour

Postby RichardP|Dyalog on Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:21 pm

I have successfully:
1) Used RIDE on Chromebook to connect to APL on the same Chromebook
2) Used RIDE on Chromebook to connect to APL on separate laptop
3) Run the Jarvis sample JSON app on chromebook and used it from the chrome browser on the same Chromebook

Only a couple things I thought of that I haven't done:
1) Connect to Chromebook APL from other laptop (I think I need to do something to enable the connection, like open a port, couldn't get to the Jarvis either)
2) Create APL keyboard for Chromebook (you can use RIDE language bar, but a specific keyboard will be more work – link: https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comme ... stomizing/)
3) Tried to install .NET Core 3.1 (supported by Dyalog version 18.0) and use bi-directional Link

The installation is a tiny bit of a fiddle, but here's what I did:

From the start menu, (bottom-left button), type "terminal" and click on the icon. From there, you will be prompted to download and install Linux. Click next. If the installation seems to be stuck, try restarting the computer and try again.

After Linux is installed, the "My files" drop-down within the Files explorer will have a "Linux files" shortcut. Download the .deb installation files for Dyalog (from the Dyalog website) and the RIDE (from GitHub) to that folder. Right click (or alt-click on some Chromebooks) and select "Install with Linux".
RichardP|Dyalog

Postby paulmansour on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:40 pm

Richard, thanks. Very timely! Up until today, I thought I would not be teaching a proposed class (where the kids have chromebooks), but now it is on again. I will try your instructions and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
paulmansour

Postby paulmansour on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:13 am

Whoa! I managed to do it! Thanks Richard!
paulmansour

Postby paulmansour on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:29 am

So it seems like I need to start Dyalog APL first, and then a Ride, and bingo, I'm in. I assume that's how to start things up. However, when I exit ride, the APL session seems to still run, with a perpetual circle running around in the icon at the bottom of the screen, and then I cannot start up things again without rebooting. Obviously I have no idea what I am doing. Any pointers here would be appreciated...
paulmansour

Postby KimmoLinna on Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:39 pm

I was able to install Dyalog on Chrome OS Flex. I just had to install Ride version 4.5 which I build by myself from GitHub. If someone else is wondering you can find desktop-files for shortcuts from the folder /usr/share/applications...
KimmoLinna

Postby RichardP|Dyalog on Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:52 am

A screen recording of me installing and starting RIDE on a Chromebook (there have been a couple of queries recently in other places about this)

https://www.loom.com/share/5d2fc82483d9 ... 7f42830fa0

Also a reminder that tryapl.org can get you pretty far with people just starting out in APL.
RichardP|Dyalog

Next

Return to UNIX and Linux