Dyalog on a Chromebook

Using Dyalog under 'nixes

Re: Dyalog on a Chromebook

Postby tclviii-dyalog on Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:39 pm

Some Chromebooks run low-end Intel processors, some Chromebooks run Qualcomm processors, some Chromebooks run realtek processors. Is there a preferred processor? Does using one kind of processor rather than the other make for a more seamless Unix/ride experience?

I ask only because I made the mistake of buying a 15-in aluminum laptop which seems to weigh much more heavily upon my shoulder than my old 13 inch magnesium laptop. And I see that there are many 11-12 inch 750 gram Chromebooks for less than $200. And I'd be willing to buy one since pretty much all I do is run office 365 and type up some APL.

Tony C.
tclviii-dyalog

Postby RichardP|Dyalog on Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:48 am

Not sure why but the recording above is only visible on chrome. It was recorded using loom.com on the chromebook itself, which might help explain a little. Still very annoying though.
RichardP|Dyalog

Postby RichardP|Dyalog on Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:51 am

Tony
As of right now you can only install Dyalog on intel Chromebooks. There is an ARM64 build somewhere in the pipeline but Chromebooks are not a main target as far as I am aware. It may be a happy coincidence that it just works when that comes out (like our .deb installer happens to for Intel Chromebooks) but Chromebooks are not currently officially supported by Dyalog.
RichardP|Dyalog

Previous

Return to UNIX and Linux