Windows 11

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Windows 11

Postby michaelk on Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 am

Has Windows 11 been tested to ensure that Dyalog works well with it?
michaelk

Re: Windows 11

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:46 am

Not yet: we intend to perform that verification this month.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm

As of yesterday, I have a new laptop - the old one would not run Windows 11. Today, I installed each of:

17.1 32 Classic
17.1 64 Unicode
18.0 64 Unicode
18.2 64 Unicode

After each install, I successfully ran:

- Tetris (Microsoft.NET GUI demo)
- Arachnid (⎕WC demo)
- HttpCommand.Get 'www.dyalog.com'

Under 18.2 I also ran the Link QA.

This is far from complete verification, for one thing there may be subtle UI issues that I did not notice, but so far everything looks good to me.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm

One thing worth mentioning is that Windows 11 allows you to enable "Controlled Folder Access", which will prevent applications from accessing user folders. If you enable this, you will want to add Dyalog APL to the list of "allowed apps", which is quite straightforward if you have admin rights on your machine.

If you start APL and get a warning about being unable to rebuild the command cache because a folder does not exist, go to the "Ransomware protection" section of Windows Security settings, select "Allow an app through controlled folder access", select "Add an app", and you should be able to select APL from a list of "recently blocked apps".

If you have not recently been blocked you will need to select dyalog.exe using a file explorer.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:21 pm

Morten|Dyalog wrote:One thing worth mentioning is that Windows 11 allows you to enable "Controlled Folder Access", which will prevent applications from accessing user folders.

We'll be looking into whether we can deal with providing access to controlled folders as part of the build and/or distribution process.
Morten|Dyalog

Return to APL Chat