Dyalog for statistics and machine learning?

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Dyalog for statistics and machine learning?

Postby johnlyn763 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:58 pm

All the world is busy using R to do statistical analysis and even machine learning. Does anyone know if Dyalog APL is used to do similar work? I know that back in the day there were some awesome workspaces for statistics - are there modern equivalents? Thanks
johnlyn763

Re: Dyalog for statistics and machine learning?

Postby DanB|Dyalog on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm

Dyalog has a workspace to interface with R.
You need to have R installed then )LOAD Rconnect.
DanB|Dyalog

Postby johnlyn763 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:58 am

Sure, but seriously didn't the APL language RULE the stats world at one time? Has everyone abandoned their APL statistics workspaces for R?

I'm interested because of the vast execution features in Dyalog APL. I would love be able to put a machine learning algorithm from an R package head to head with a similar one done in pure APL.
johnlyn763

Postby DanB|Dyalog on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:55 am

APL never "ruled" the stats world. There were some good programs out there for a while but superior products quickly appeared.
APL is a general language, not a specialized one.
If you want to stay in APL and your requirements are simple you can write some code in APL to do that.
And if you are willing to wait a little longer I hear there is a stat package coming out soon from Steve Mansour.
But if your requirements are complex you are better off using something like R which has been tested thoroughly. And you can drive it from APL!
DanB|Dyalog

Postby MikeBa on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 pm

I vaguely recall that in the mid-70s, Atkins (Phil Goacher's team) had some serious statistical functions. In the 1980s, Statgraphics ( http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=801195&dl=ACM&coll=DL&CFID=651663134&CFTOKEN=21263531 ) seemed to rule the UK business world.

Whatever happened to all that lovely code - discarded by the generation that needs 11 GB for a bug-ridden operating system.
MikeBa

Postby DanB|Dyalog on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:35 am

As I wrote: "There were some good programs out there for a while but superior products quickly appeared."...
DanB|Dyalog

Postby Brian|Dyalog on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Dr. Stephen Mansour has authored TamStat - Taming Statistics with APL, which is a workspace with a textbook and reference card. Steve did a presentation on TamStat in Sicily at Dyalog'15 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgfKqep3_Ms), and will be conducting a half-day workshop and making an updated presentation in Glasgow at Dyalog'16 in October.

I've met with Steve regarding packaging and distributing TamStat and I anticipate it will be available either on the Dyalog website or GitHub sometime this Fall.
Brian|Dyalog

Postby johnlyn763 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:49 pm

Anyone know where I can find the TamStat workspace?
johnlyn763

Postby Adam|Dyalog on Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:40 am

johnlyn763 wrote:Anyone know where I can find the TamStat workspace?

TamStat is proprietary, but see https://tamstat.com/ for the web version and (under Contact) how to obtain the free 30-day trial version.
Adam|Dyalog

Return to APL Chat