External READ access to APL desktop log file

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

External READ access to APL desktop log file

Postby woody on Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:15 pm

Greetings.

Is there a way that we can access (READ) the current APL Desktop Log File (session log) ?

I'm working on a tool that might help monitor student APL programmers by reading their current desktop log and sending it to the instructor via Internet.

Perhaps it is an external Windows file ?

Thanks!

//W
Woodley Butler
Automatonics, Inc.
"Find your head in the APL Cloud"
http://www.APLcloud.com
woody

Re: External READ access to APL desktop log file

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:07 am

Hi Woody !

You can get the current contents of the session log with
      txt←'⎕se'⎕WG'Log'

The session log is saved in the file pointed to by the LOG_FILE configuration parameter and its size is set by LOG_SIZE.

There is no direct way to read a log file, but you could point to a different one by setting LOG_FILE and start Dyalog and query the log as above. And I would try to use a Dyalog interpreter from the same version/width/edition/platform to read the file - we have not tested what happens if you try to use a different Dyalog interpreter; it may work, but we certainly won't guarantee that and if I had my way, we would reject attempts to do so.

Note that the location of the current log file is cached when Dyalog starts, so if you do want to point to a different file, you'll have to change LOG_FILE and restart Dyalog - and we don't support fiddling with the active log file from outside the active Dyalog process.
AndyS|Dyalog

Return to APL Chat