How to switch between trace windows?

A forum for issues on macOS; the UNIX and Linux forums may have relevent posts

How to switch between trace windows?

Postby haupz on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:13 am

Hello,

I'm working my way through Legrand's book on Dyalog APL, on macOS. Chapter E deals with error handling, tracing, debugging, and so forth. On Windows, it appears to be the case that, in case of the stack containing more than one function, an adequate number of trace windows will pop up.

On macOS, there will only ever be one trace window (regardless of whether the "floating windows" checkboxes in the preferences are ticked), and it appears to be impossible to switch between different trace windows. It is only possible to see trace windows further down the stack by closing the topmost one, which of course terminates that function's execution.

Is there some secret way of switching between trace windows?

Thanks for any hint,

Michael
haupz

Re: How to switch between trace windows?

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Michael,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your post!

The Mastering Dyalog APL book shows our tracer in "Classic" mode in Dyalog for Windows. (That is Classic as in how our trace/edit windows were originally and is not related to Unicode or non-unicode).

Dyalog for Mac and RIDE 4.1 do not allow you to have more than one trace window open. I will log an issue on the RIDE GitHub project for the developers to consider allowing that (that is to consider an option to have RIDE behave like our "Classic" trace/edit windows mode).

If we were to have more than one trace window open, Ctrl + Tab would cycle between them.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Re: How to switch between trace windows?

Postby haupz on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Vince,

thanks for your reply - never mind the long duration. I appreciate how you see the value in supporting multiple windows on platforms other than Windows. Count me in for beta testing. :-)

Best,

Michael
haupz

Return to macOS