Train - simple string

For users of dfns, both novice and expert

Re: Train - simple string

Postby Bob Armstrong on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm

A comment from a different path : one reason I followed Arthur Whitney's simpler path was that I felt forks and trains were too clever and idiosyncratic . And too infrequent in use to build into the syntax . K does have one relatively simple syntax quirk ( whose documentation I can't find -- which may be why it took me so long to understand ) . In an expression like
Code: Select all
+/ *
the last function ( first to execute ) is taken to be dyadic and the rest monadic .

I've come to appreciate Forth's simplest possible RPN , read-a-word do-it , syntax . Which , of course , allows the creation of words which read further in the line to create their own exception to that syntax . That , combined with the "white-space is the prime delimiter" syntax is immediately understandable and provides unmatched flexibility .

CoSy is a long way from ever being competition for Dyalog . I'd describe it as being on a different temporal foliation . But people may find some of its attributes and simplifications interesting . The demo I just gave at Forth Day at Stanford is at https://youtu.be/mXBeFSOTrK4?t=8816 .
Bob Armstrong

Previous

Return to Functional Programming