Posting / Viewing Dyalog APL Characters

How to enrol; Forum policy; Entering APL characters; Discussions regarding Forum organization

Posting / Viewing Dyalog APL Characters

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:24 pm

The forums accept Unicode input and supports the entry of APL symbols like ↑ and ↓ anywhere in text that you post. For clarity, you can enclose a block of APL code in a "code" section, which makes it look like this:

Code: Select all
      ⎕ucs 32⌈⎕ucs 4 64⍴⎕av
          ⌶ɫ%'⍺⍵_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz  ¯.⍬0123456789 ¤¥$£¢
∆ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ  ý· ⍙ÁÂÃÇÈÊËÌÍÎÏÐÒÓÔÕÙÚÛÝþãìðòõ{€}⊣⌷
¨ÀÄÅÆ⍨ÉÑÖØÜßàáâäåæçèéêëíîïñ[/⌿\⍀<≤=≥>≠∨∧-+÷×?∊⍴~↑↓⍳○*⌈⌊∇∘(⊂⊃∩∪⊥⊤
|;,⍱⍲⍒⍋⍉⌽⊖⍟⌹!⍕⍎⍫⍪≡≢óôöø"# &´┘┐┌└┼─├┤┴┬│@ùúû^ü`∣¶:⍷¿¡⋄←→⍝)]  §⎕⍞⍣

We are hoping to be able to embed the necessary fonts in the Style Sheet soon, but until further notice you will need a Unicode APL font installed in order to view APL symbols. Compare the text in the code block above to the following image:

... If the contents are not identical, then you should download and install the font named "APL385 Unicode".

To enter APL code, you will need a Unicode APL Keyboard installed, like the Dyalog IME which is included with Version 12.1.

The fonts and keyboards can be found at http://www.dyalog.com/apl-font-keyboard.htm.
Morten|Dyalog

Re: Posting / Viewing Dyalog APL Characters

Postby Phil Last on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:49 am

In morten's posting above the APL code is buried in a box that mysteriously has a Title Bar saying:
-----------------------------------------
CODE: SELECT ALL
----------------------------------------
I just posted to the "Functional Programming" forum (Is it a forum or is the next category up from there a forum?) with about half and half code and text. I pasted the code with indentations but previewing it left-aligned everything. I highlighted the code, pressed the [ Code ] button and each separate section of a few lines of code ended up in its own box with its own:
Almost impossible to see the code for the
presentation. Is there no simple way to pursuade the software NOT to go to all the trouble of removing leading blanks.
I removed the [ code][ /code ] tags leaving it without the indents.

BTW. If these square bracketed tags get in your way as they already have in mine, put blanks immediately inside the brackets as I've done in the line above.
I can see that that use of the square bracket is likely to cause a lot of difficulty. Is there a better way to escape it? Backslash doesn't work and it doesn't seem to recognise character entities.

Phil
Phil Last

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 pm

We'll look into whether we can find a way to preserve blanks outside "code" sections. Looking at the posting in question, I think it would work OK if you used two or three code blocks, as an alternative to putting each line or two in a separate block? Not perfect I know, but I think it would look OK.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:10 am

I have added an APLCode button to the buttons on the Post a Message/Post a reply pages.

Text that is between the opening and closing aplcode tokens will have whitespace preserved, and 6 spaces will be inserted before the first character of that text.

In HTML terms, all that has been done is to put "<pre> " before the selected text, and "</pre>" after it.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby gil on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm on holiday and have started to use my mobile to read the forum instead of my pc (so much easier when you're horizontal). I notice that the embedded fonts are there as promised above, but not applied to text marked up as Code, only to text marked as APLCode.

Can this be changed as most people seem to use the former. I can't think of a disadvantage using the APL font for any code.

Compare these blocks on a mobile:

Code: Select all
{⍵/⍳⍴⍵}

{⍵/⍳⍴⍵}
gil

Postby ray on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Prompted by Gil's last comment, I found my Android device did not actually have an APL font.
(What a surprise!)

How does one install Dyalog's APL font onto an Android device?

I googled "installing fonts on Android" and what I have read suggested I could only install my own "private" font if the device was "rooted".

Many "public" fonts can be downloaded from the Apps Store, but I don't think Dyalog's is one of them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ray
PS I tried accessing this forum using the default browser and firefox on my Android.
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Return to Using the Forum