Autocompletion...

Using Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation and Syncfusion WPF Libraries

Autocompletion...

Postby Dick Bowman on Fri May 22, 2015 4:29 pm

I would like a TextBox (or something similar) which has the same sort of AutoComplete behaviour that we see in the Dyalog session.

Does anyone have any experience of (or suggestions about) any prewritten WPF controls that I can just plug in and use?

Syncfusion's AutoComplete is inadequate for my purposes (it's just a souped-up ComboBox).

A cursory web search seemed to turn up results also oriented toward this sort of ComboBox augmentation.

Have I missed something obvious?

At present my thoughts are turning to doing a bit of DIY (which may be clunky, or slow, or probably both) - but I'd rather not and have seen enough applications with the behaviour I want that it suggests there must already be solutions out there.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Re: Autocompletion...

Postby PGilbert on Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 am

Hello Dick, the EditControl of Syncfusion as Intellisense and I think you can make your own dictionary. Is it something like this that you are looking for ?
PGilbert

Postby Dick Bowman on Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 pm

Thankyou, that looks like it might do the job, although the "documentation" is rather opaque.

Interesting that while there is a wpf/edit description page on the Syncfusion site there is no Edit entry on the parent page. And no onward link to the appropriate class reference (I can't be bothered to try logging on the the Syncfusion site today, just viewing it from the outside). And when I do find the Edit technical stuff it all seems to be for their Windows Forms product. But I do find a Syncfusion.Edit.WPF.dll file in the Dyalog subfolder.

Frankly I think my dog could do a better job of documentation than that bunch (and I don't even have a dog).
Dick Bowman

Postby PGilbert on Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello Dick, their Windows Form product is more complete than their WPF product. If you have access to it, you should consider use it instead. Also Actipro Software has also one of the good syntax editor on the market with intellisense in case you don't find what you need with Syncfusion.
PGilbert

Postby Dick Bowman on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Update on this...

After appreciating Pierre's suggestions I decided that I'd write something myself (reasoning that it might take me less time than figuring out how to use the third-party controls).

Took in some explorations of TextBox properties and KeyboardDevice and I have me something that does precisely what I needed and a bit of transferable knowledge about WPF/NET objects/classes. Probably a couple of hours effort all-in.

One conclusion - sometimes we get into an assemble-the-Lego-blocks mode of thinking and forget that APL is a pretty good way to manipulate data.
Dick Bowman

Postby norbertjurkiewicz84 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:21 pm

I second the WinForms Actipro SyntaxEditor. We've been using it for over two years and there has been no issues. It also performs very well parsing large Unicode text blocks.

Norbert
(It's the little things that make the difference :-)
norbertjurkiewicz84

Return to WPF & Syncfusion