type conversions/Conversion Codes

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Re: type conversions/Conversion Codes

Postby PGilbert on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:41 am

I found this on the Wiki: http://aplwiki.com/ImageFilesWithDyalog in case it helps.
PGilbert

Postby Stu on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks to Tomas and JohnD! This is what I was looking for. Since I just installed Dyalog last week after being completely away from APL since 1980, I didn't know where to begin. When I began coding last week, I was still using → for loops and conditional branches!
Stu

Postby Stu on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks! Got it.
Stu

Postby Stu on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:34 pm

One last question: where in the vast amount of documentation available for Dyalog are ⎕WC and ⎕NQ to be found?
Stu

Postby Tomas Gustafsson on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Tried with
http://www.dyalog.com ?

(sorryyyy :-) <- innocent)
Tomas Gustafsson

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:45 am

At the most basic level you can hit <F1> having typed ⎕WC etc .. this will work on the vast majority of GUI object-related words, as well as all primitives.

The Interface Guide is probably the best place for a more descriptive discussion about programming with GUI objects.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Stu on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:45 pm

APL has changed a LOT since I first encountered it in 1977. OO and GUI's had yet to be invented back then. Now you have to be familiar with the contents of multiple 700+ page manuals to build an application. Anyway, the Interface Guide does have the last bits of information I need to complete my (very simple) project.

Having access to the experts in the Dyalog community is fantastic. I'm glad I joined up.
Stu

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:01 am

Stu wrote:Now you have to be familiar with the contents of multiple 700+ page manuals to build an application ...(stuff snipped) ... I'm glad I joined up.

Hi Stu, we are very glad to have you back! Note that, depending on your point of view, the situation is much better / much worse than you imagine. Those 700+ page manuals essentially document the cover-functions that we built to make Microsoft's Win32 API easy to use for APLers, and is already 15-20 years old.

If you are on the Microsoft Windows platform, you can now also hook into every .NET class that was ever written, as if it was part of your workspace. I read somewhere that the documentation, if printed, could reach to the moon and back. If you are building web pages, you can extend APL with Javascript. And so on and so forth.

Fortunately, there are people out there who have the time and energy to try them out and give the rest of us a leg up when we need something!
Morten|Dyalog

Postby Stu on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Morten,
I'm actually very happy with the way APL has developed, 700-page manuals and all. When I was using APL for a few years back in the late 1970's, I was met with condescension from my colleagues, who adopted a tone not unlike that of Dijkstra's infamous APL letter. Now that I'm retired I don't have to pay attention to those guys! I can just be an APL enthusiast and have fun developing my own recreational projects. I'm fascinated by the "idioms" collections and would like to come up with clever algorithms like the ones there.
-Stu
Stu

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 am

Hi Stu,

The Bitmap Object and the Bits and CBits properties are documented in our Object Reference. This can be found in the PDF files that are part of the Dyalog install and at help.dyalog.com.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

PreviousNext

Return to New to Dyalog?