dyalog.config

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

dyalog.config

Postby maviren on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:58 pm

I am new to Dyalog (moved from APLX) and a Mac user. I have had an issue getting dyalog.config to be read with MAXWS=128M. I only get 64M. The installation instructions indicate a subdirectory named .dyalog will be setup and contains dyalog.config after the first time I run APL. CONTINUE.dws & default.dlf are created in my home directory but no subdirectory called .dyalog is created. I attempted to add such a directory but a "." as the first character in a directory name is reserved for system names.
I edited the dyalog.config.example file found in the Contents/Resources/Dyalog subdirectory below the DYALOG application and put it in the home directory with MAXWS=128M, that did not work. I also put a copy in the Contents/Resources/Dyalog subdirectory and that did not work.

Any suggestions

Mike
maviren

Re: dyalog.config

Postby Fiona|Dyalog on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:15 am

Directories that start with a . are "hidden" as the contents should only be changed by someone who really knows what they are doing. Displaying them is a global setting and can be done in a few ways. For examples, see http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... -in-finder

I will amend the documentation to include this information.
Fiona|Dyalog

Postby maviren on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:43 am

Thanks, I should have known that.

Mike
maviren

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:31 pm

When setting configuration parameters in ~/.dyalog/dyalog.config it is necessary to specify them as environment variables, rather than just shell variables. If they are not defined to be environment variables, then they will not be passed to the Dyalog process (or indeed any other child process), and thus will be ignored.

To define an environment variable, you must export it. This can be done in one of two ways. In this example, I'm setting the configuration parameter MAXWS to 1GB:

export MAXWS=1G

or
      MAXWS=1G
export MAXWS

The comments in dyalog.config should reflect this requirement .. I'll fix it in the very near future.

No matter what the configuration parameter, on non-Windows platforms the equivalent environment variable name must be spelled in uppercase.

We are reviewing the whole matter of setting configuration parameters across all the platforms which Dyalog runs on, but that means that we have to consider what should happen if you're running multiple versions/widths/editions in parallel .. watch this space ..
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby maviren on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Andy:
I understand now the role of "export" in setting environmental variables.

That brings up another question. Other variables can be set and exported in a similar fashion. For example )LIB list files in 3 OSX directories. I don't see that in dyalog.config. If I add and export another Dir in dyalog.config (by setting WSPATH) will that be added to the current 3 directories?

Another related question: How do you under OSX from a Session Window change "Current Directory" to another?

Sorry for all the New Guy questions

Mike
maviren

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Mike,

If you add a directory to WSPATH, workspaces in it will be listed in )lib.

There is a user command ]cd. You could use that to change the current directory.

e.g.
]cd /tmp

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby alexeyv on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:07 pm

If I set anything in WSPATH in ~/.dyalog/dyalog.config, the previous path to lib is cleared. So this means I will not see any Dyalog-supplied workspaces.
In order to still have the custom path to workspaces AND Dyalog-supplied workspaces, I have to run )lib on a clean configuration, copy paths, edit the dyalog.config file and add the paths to the end of WSPATH variable. It feels really really inconvenient.
Is where a way to set path to my workspaces AND keep paths to Dyalog-supplied workspaces?
alexeyv

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Currently there is no way to specify "and include the default Dyalog-supplied directories" in WSPATH; we need to come up with a syntax that supports this.

The best thing for now is to append
$DYALOG/ws:$DYALOG/xflib
to your WSPATH definition .. by using $DYALOG rather than the full path you shorten the definition of WSPATH in the config file, and makes the definition more future proof.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby alexeyv on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks, this works for me. Probably you need to add it to the example in the config file template.

P.S. Also I've found what the config file for Dyalog 15.0 contains references to online documentation for 14.1
alexeyv

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:52 am

Not any more ! Well, not once we've pushed up new installation images.

I've committed changes to the config.dyalog.example file which is used as the basis for $HOME/.dyalog/dyalog.config.
AndyS|Dyalog

Return to New to Dyalog?