Syncfusion SfDataGrid performance

Using Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation and Syncfusion WPF Libraries

Syncfusion SfDataGrid performance

Postby norbertjurkiewicz84 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Does anyone have experience using the SfDataGrid control with larger data sets, in excess of 500k rows?

The SfDataGrid is being virtualized and databound to a Dyalog matrix. Displaying the data is quite responsive but working with grid features is a problem.

I'm finding their copy, paste, filtering and sorting features become unusable and freeze the host application.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, have you overcome the issue?
(It's the little things that make the difference :-)
norbertjurkiewicz84

Re: Syncfusion SfDataGrid performance

Postby PGilbert on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:37 pm

I suggest that you try Databinding to a .Net DataTable and see if it is faster to copy/paste/sort. There is some example here on how to do that. I suspect that preparing the DataTable will take more time compare to binding to an APL matrix natively (all the matrix data will need to be transfer on the .Net side) but the grid will be more responsive to things like 'sort' since it will be all done all on the .Net side. Please let us know if it is the case.

Pierre Gilbert
PGilbert

Postby MikeHughes on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 am

There is a really big issue with the data binding provided by Dyalog. The place to fix it will be in the interpreter/bridge - so please ask them to do so. (I have already).

In their implementation of Data Binding - they have only implemented the Reset method which means that any change to the data tells Syncfusion (or any other WPF databound control) to update EVERYTHING, all the records not just the one changed. It doesn't make a real difference with the small bindings but makes a really big difference when using Chart controls and graphs so I suspect it also has a big influence on a sfDataGrid with many rows. Normally the non APL data bound objects say row x has changed and so the control ONLY updates row x this doesn't happen in any Dyalog data binding in Dyalog - the only info Syncfusion gets is "something, probably everything has changed".

They did say a while ago that they would try and implement the Add, Insert, Delete and I think Change (maybe delete/insert I forget) methods in the next release (as part of a trigger review) BUT I haven't heard anything recently. It might be worth reminding them of this issue.
MikeHughes

Postby JohnD|Dyalog on Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 am

Hello Gents,

In 16.0 there's no change to the notifications we send on changes to bound data. We still only send a Reset. I suspect that that is the cause of the performance issues. We'll try to get something into 17.0, if not into a DSS patch of 16.0

Best Regards
John Daintree.
JohnD|Dyalog

Return to WPF & Syncfusion