Traditional Functions Halt in First Statement

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Traditional Functions Halt in First Statement

Postby tomgarwin on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm running v 17 on both a PC (64 bit) and rPI (32 bit) and occasionally either on loading a ws with a latent expression or on calling a function directly from the terminal in an active workspace the function stops in the first statement (debugger displays) without any error message. Typically on executing again things work fine. I don't think ⎕DM shows any relevant error message either (at least the one time I tried this). It can't be anything specific to the first statement because sometimes it is a line with no executable code -- just a comment. I am not sure whether this has happened without the spawn option (executing the function in a new thread). This hasn't caused me any real problems -- wondering if there is a diagnostic I should try to figure out what is going on. Needless to say, no stop or trace vector is set (at least not intentionally).
tomgarwin

Re: Traditional Functions Halt in First Statement

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 am

"at least not intentionally" ..

.. I've always found it very easy to accidentally set stop bits when using the editor and tracer in the tty interface - so it's probably a good idea to check that you've not got stop bits set. If you have the option to use RIDE then that may be a better option as it's not easy to inadvertently set bits in the RIDE interface.

What you might like to experiment with is 2400⌶1 .. this causes all stop, monitor and trace bits to be cleared when you )save the workspace. It's a per-workspace setting - there's a little more about on the help page for Set Workspace Save Options.

If all else fails, you're welcome to send one of the workspaces to support@ and we'll take a look.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby tomgarwin on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks very much, I'll try that.
tomgarwin

Postby Adam|Dyalog on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:53 am

I don't think this is due to a stop bit, because that would print the function name and line number into the session:
      )clear
clear ws
⎕lx←'g'
⎕fx'g9'
1⎕stop'g'
)save /tmp/lxstop
/tmp/lxstop.dws saved Sun Feb 24 07:48:21 2019
⎕load⎕wsid

g[1]

Could it be that you are mistakenly pressing Ctrl+Enter (<TC>) when loading the workspace and thus end up tracing into ⎕LX?
Adam|Dyalog

Return to New to Dyalog?